ShayLa La La La

sometimes my mouth does nothing what my brain says it too

Thursday, November 25, 2010

This time of year takes me back....

Takes me back to a time not so long ago.

Around a year ago as a matter of fact.

It was basketball season. This particular cold December-ish day was particularly freezing... and there was a BYU cougar basketball game that night. NOT just any old game, no. At this particular game, they would give you tickets to go watch the Cougars play at the Energy Solutions Arena in Salt Lake. Best tickets go to whoever was there first when they opened the doors for the game that night.

AWESOME! I thought... in previous years my sister, Ashley, would always have to sit outside in a line for hours before the doors opened, all day, to get tickets for games like these. This year, Ashley was on her mission, so i knew it was up to me know to wait in line to get those tickets. It was my turn to shine and i wouldn't be the one to let people down.

8am, no classes because I was finished up for Thanksgiving break. The game was at 7pm, doors open at 5pm. 8am, and I roll out of bed, put on my 3 layers of sweaters, coat, long johns, pants, two pairs of socks, Hot Hands and Toasty Toes, 3 blankets, stalking cap, and of course my mittens (for those of you who dont really know, I dont even think about going out in the cold without my mittens, ever), I grab my backpack so i can study while i wait in line, and I rush out the door and drive down the the Marriott Center.

"Self, you're the best! First one in line! Alright!!! Good one, Shayla!" I say as I sit in front of the doors, first in line...boy, its cold in the shade, but i don't care, being first in line makes it TOTES worth it!

9am... no one else in is line yet... 10am... not a single person....

hum, this is kinda weird i keep thinking. But i KNOW the second I leave the mad rush is going to come and I will have sat in the cold for two hours for nothing.... there's no way i'm leaving... but boy, hot chocolate would sure be nice around now....

11am.... 12.... 1pm.... no one. I'm the ONLY one. Wrapped in blankets.... sitting in front of the Marriott Center doors. A man walks past me. He pauses after he passes, and turns around.

Man: "Are you alright, Miss? Do you like, need a phone or a ride somewhere?"
Me: "Oh, me? No, no no. I'm fine, thank you. I'm just waiting in line... for the game... to get tickets..." And i glance around at the NOBODIES in the line behind me, I'm still the only one
Man: "Oh!" He says as look gives that look of 'uh, your a idiot,' and he points across the street at the Lavell Edwards stadium, "The game is over at the stadium, and it's not until Saturday." (It was the week of the BYU vs Utah football game that Saturday)
Me: "Oh, yeah, no I already have tickets for that game, I'm talking about the basketball game tonight. If you come tonight you get tickets to watch the cougars play up in Salt Lake."
Man: "Okay, welp, have fun... in line... " and he smiles and walks away.

This is where I officially feel like a LOSER. but 2pm....3pm... FINALLY, my buddy Spencer came to join me! haha, now there are two people in line. And I choose to ignore the fact that he only came because he felt SO bad for me for being SUCH an idiot. HAHAHA. to this day I still LOVE SPENCER BANTA for this. hahha... we laughed and studied for another hour and a half, still the ONLY ONES in line, until FINALLY others came to get in line.

This story has a happy ending... I got us FRONT ROW tickets to the game. haha, right next to the band. but Brandon Davies fell on us. AND Kyle caught me Chris Miles sweat band after the game. AND we proved the cougarettes are even more scary being close up.

I still wanna know why NO ONE told me not to camp out... jerks.

1 comment:

  1. Ha Ha! Shayla i love this blog post. That was such a funny experience. We sure had a good laugh then and in retrospect it is still hilarious. But I caught a giant byu teddy bear at the game so it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete