ShayLa La La La

sometimes my mouth does nothing what my brain says it too

Friday, May 25, 2012

The man to blame...

MY DAD - (you will see, I'm just a "chip off the old block")


is the man you can blame for this blog of my pathetic errors in this journey of life.

you can blame him. I do. Let me tell you why...just let me share a little about this man and you will see he is the one to blame.


On our stairway down to the basement, there is a light fixture. This light has not worked once since I can remember. At least fifteen years. That light switch would never work. So to go to the basement, you had to leave the door open for light, until you made it down to turn on a light down there. Then run up to shut the door, then back down to do whatever. Well, one day a few months back, My old man decides, no, he was bound and determined, to fix that dang light. He messes with the light switch, pulled it out to see the wires, if they were frayed or something...Then he pauses, and gets this crazy idea. "Self," he says, "I'm just going to try, just to see before I make a bigger mess...what if i?... well, What if I get a new lightbulb and see if that works." He screws it in. LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!! You change the lightbulb and IT WORKS!!! After fifteen years. You'd think the man would have thought to change the dang thing. HAHAHA. And they think I DO STUPID STUFF.

Well, can you blame me? My GOSH! This story is even more funny, because My first year on my own in college, I called him after midnight one night. He was barely awake as he answered...

"He...hello?"
"Dad, what kind of light bulb do I need?"
"What? are you talking about?" He was still waking up, confused out of his mind. The light bulb in my living room had gone out. I had enough sense to know I needed a new one, but when I got to the store there were like 29 different kinds to choose from. who knew? I just wanted a light bulb! He laughed at me once he figured out what was going on.
"Haven't you ever changed a light bulb before?" he said. Yes, FYI, I had. I just never bought one. Obviously I changed lightbulbs, because we all know now that he never did, so someone had too.

Every once in a while, this man, says something worth remembering. He would tell me growing up when other kids would try to tease me (trust me, there wasn't much to tease me about because I am insanely awesome. They usually picked on my red hair...they were just jealous) He would tell me just to respond by holding up my finger in the shape of a hook and say "Hang it in your ear." ...which i never understood and thought was lame. I didn't get it until he explained that it meant that it doesn't matter what you think, so you can just take your opinions and hang them i your ear, cause i dont care.
    For some reason, this goofy statement "Hang it in your ear" pops into my head whenever I feel out of place or picked on. It makes me laugh a little, and I feel better. I don't worry about what they think. This became especially useful when I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Without this advice and mindset of not worrying about others, I wouldn't have survived. Because I didn't care what others thought, didn't care that I was different, even though I may walk funny, I was still me,and that all that mattered.

When I first started having pain with my arthritis, I went straight to my Father. I remember, when I first started experiencing symptoms, I had spent a few nights in agony because my shoulder was hurting so bad. One night I couldn't handle it anymore. I couldn't sleep, so I went, crying into my Father. I was always convinced he could help any sickness or pain go away. He kindly woke up, assured me that it would be okay. That was enough for me to get some peace of mind, and after that, just having my Father assuring me it would all be okay, I was able to sleep that night. Slowly, as my whole body started to ache, he would always be there. Telling me it would all be okay. He would always tell me "If I could take your pain, I would." And that would make me feel better. Always. This man, my father, would sit with me every Sunday as I shoved a needle into my leg, because without him there, I couldn't do it. I wasn't brave enough. My Dad makes me brave, makes me the person I want to be. I'm so grateful for this man. Did he enjoy watching me in pain? Suffer? Shoot myself with a needle? Probably not. But he was always there, providing me with strength until I could find my own, By my side the entire time.

Although he may tell the worlds worst jokes, and truely believe they are hilarious, because you laugh not because they are funny, but because they are THAT bad you can help but laugh; even though he may take 15 years to change a light bulb; even though he may seem on the outside big, intimidating, rough, tough as nails; you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that more closely follows the Saviors example. And anyone that knows him will testify. He is often referred to as the "big teddy bear" because you can't help but feel and love his ginormous heart. This man will do ANYTHING for those he loves, quietly, no questions asked. I cannot count the number of times I've watched as my dear Mother just mentions some random thing or idea she has, for the house, decorations, church callings, whatever...and my Dad, not saying a word. And then, without even realizing it, it is done. Not just for my mom though. For all of us.

One time. my little sister, Sharisse, saw some strawberry millk. She exclaimed, "Man, I used to make that all the time as a kid, I haven't had that in forever!" The next day, she gets home from school, and there was some in the fridge for her. Really, Dad? Thats awesome.

Another time. My Mom had made a list of things she needed at the store, and Dad went to the store to get them. You see, She taught seminary and once a month would do these auctions if you made it to seminary on time you would get mormon bucks that you could buy things at these auctions. Anyways, one of the things she would off was a "Free day" where you didnt have to come to early morning seminary, but it would count as f you were there. She wrote "free day" on the list so she would remember for the auction. My Dad, poor guy, spent HOURS walking up and down every isle in the store searching for this "free day" not kowing what it was. An employee asked him if he could help him find something, and he explained. "I've searched all over, My wife wants a free day and I can't seem to find one. I dont even know what that is. Is it like, a type of tampon or something? I dont know?" The associate didnt know either. "Good luck with that one, man." He finally calls my mom to see what it was, and she explained. hahahahaha, they had a good laugh.

I could and would go on for hours about my Dad, but I think you get the point. He's the greatest in the world.

And you all still wonder why I'm not yet married? The poor guy has some awfully big shoes to fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment